Tuesday, October 31, 2006

I've just had an email from Alex James off of Blur

I don't get emails from millionaire pop stars every day, so I thought I'd share....

Last week I interviewed Alex James off of Blur about some VH1 thing, and it went reasonably well. He was, as you might expect, a very nice man. Afterwards I asked if he was still involved in Britain's Space Programme and he told me he was speaking at some conference in December and gave me his email address. So I emailed him and this is what I got in response:

Hello,

enjoyed talking to you.

I'm speaking at the Appleton Space Conference at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire on Dec 6th.

The RAL is Europe's largest space research facility. It is to space science what Willy Wonka's chocolate factory was to confectionary. They have the world's most powerful laser, a vast particle accelerator, all kinds of crazy stuff.

The Appleton Conference is an annual round-up of what's up. It was excellent last year. I particularly remember a very clever man saying he wanted to land a balloon on the surface of one of Saturn's moons, and no one thought he was mad. In fact we all clapped.

There's lots of ideas flying around. Space is a faster growing economic sector than China.

I've attached the programme. I do hope you decide to come. It's a surreal day out.

All the best,

Alex

1) I always suspected Alex could be our Greatest Living Englishman.
2) Does anyone else think he could write for helenandjo?

No comments: