Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Herbs, goats and other posters

I very rarely put things on the walls in the places that I work. In a television newsroom I once printed off the Dilbert cartoon entitled Appraisal Time:

Boss: "Your work has been good this year, but I'm going to mark it down as poor."
Dilbert: "Oh."
Boss: "I need a paper trail in case I have to fire you."

I also once put up an excellent article about something which I felt the office of a radio newsroom ought to be aware of. It was mysteriously taken down within two hours. Whether it was because I had used the wrong adhesive or the article's content was in some way threatening the security and safety of my colleagues, I will never know.

I was recently inspired to put up one of the Guardian's posters entitled Herbs in the biggest newsroom in the world. More than a month later I'm delighted to say it is still there. Thrillingly, I recently walked into a competitor's newsroom to find the journalists in there busy assigning each breed in the Guardian's Cows poster to the relevant colleague. I got a Berkshire.

In related news someone not a million miles away from helenandjo knows two people who have been known regularly to walk round muttering under their breath variations on "I hate everyone and I want to die." Both are journalists. Neither are me.

No comments: