Saturday, April 01, 2006

I don't actually have anything interesting to post

but given no one's contributed for two weeks now, I feel I ought to put something up to stop the blog dying of apathy.

By the way, I'm very proud of that headline. It could be the default headline for every blog post ever generated, and in most cases, wouldn't need to be changed.

We got a very strange email the other day from someone at work. A boss. This is what it said:

"Hello there…

Do you blog or talk about your life on 'my space' ?

Here is some important information for you, please read, and if in any doubt ask myself or xxxx.

When a blogger clearly identifies themselves as a xxxxxx person and/or discusses their work, xxxxxx expects them to behave well when blogging, and in ways that are consistent with xxxxxx's xxxxxx policies.

If your blog makes it clear that you work for the xxxxxx, it should include a simple and visible disclaimer such as 'these are my personal views and not those of xxxxxx'.

Many bloggers, particularly in xxxxxx areas, use their personal blogs to discuss their xxxxxx work in ways that benefit xxxxxx , and add to the 'industry conversation'. These guidelines are not intended to restrict this, as long as confidential information is not revealed.

If you already have a personal blog or website which indicates in any way that you work at xxxxxx you should tell your manager.

If you want to start blogging, and your blog/website will say that you work for xxxxxx you should tell your manager.

Unless there are specific concerns about the nature of your job, you are free to talk about xxxxxx on your blog. Consult your manager if in any doubt.

Don't reveal confidential information. This might include aspects of xxxxxx policy or details of internal xxxxxx discussions. Again, consult your manager if you are unclear about what might be confidential.

You should not use your blogs to attack or abuse colleagues. You should respect the privacy and the feelings of others. Remember that if you break the law on your blog (for example by posting something defamatory), you will be personally responsible.

If you think something on your blog or website gives rise to concerns about a conflict of interest and in particular concerns about impartiality or confidentiality this must be discussed with your manager.

If someone from the media or press contacts you about posts on your blog that relate to xxxxxx you should talk to your manager before responding. The relevant xxxxxx press office must be consulted.

You are allowed to update your personal blog from a xxxxxx computer at work, under xxxxxx's Acceptable Use Policy."

Bearing in mind the paragraph I have highlighted, I thought I need to cover myself here as I may have insinuated once or twice that I work at xxxxxx. So I told my boss I contribute to this blog and the world famous Will's Pub Guide.

He pronounced himself "not too worried". Not too worried!? I suppose it's bettwe than "not remotely worried", but, really...

For the record, I, too, am "not too worried". Paranoid, nuts, drunk, scabrous and vaguely ticklish, but not too worried.

I really can't be bothered any more.

No comments: